Monday, July 9, 2012

Fresh Cuts, Haggling and Taco Bell?

Today began the last week of teaching here in Korea and it surely did not disappoint. My students were more interested in me than the book today which is perfectly ok in my eyes.  They want to spend more time with me since this is our last week and I may never see some of them after this week is over.  Tomorrow we will be sharing a meal together during the lunch hour at a local restaurant which excites me since most of them have had other obligations whenever the teachers and students get together. It will be nice to see them out of the classroom and more in their natural setting.  Plus they know where all of the good food is hiding!

Usually people are not fans of Mondays but this Monday was rather exciting. After classes were over I traveled with a group of friends to Itaewon which is on the South end of Seoul. This is where I could get my haircut by someone who isn't of Korean decent (I'm not sure if they can cut a fade). Getting my haircut is important to me not only to look good, but also to fight off the humidity and sweat that comes along with it. After my haircut I wandered the streets of this wonderfully diverse area and tried to take in all of the different shops. Everywhere you looked you could see a flag from a different nation and the speaking of multiple languages at the same time. A true representation of ethnicity from as far as Turkey to as close as Japan were proudly on display showcasing their foods, crafts and music.

I even tried my hand at bargaining with a local on a shirt. She was asking 20,000 for the item and I kindly asked if she would do 15,000. She settled on 18,000 and then I conceded that I am a terrible haggler and walked away defeated.

As we searched for food we landed at where else but god ole Taco Bell. I know what you are thinking, of all the ethnic food that was surrounding me at the time why did I pick Taco Bell? Well, the answer is very simple. It is one of the only things that I have seen in three weeks that has reminded me of home. It's amazing what fast food can do to your comfort level.

Since I conveniently forgot my camera for the baseball game this weekend and this interesting adventure I will post pictures from my newest hike in the woods. (so in like 30 minutes)

Until then,

Trey

No comments:

Post a Comment