Thursday, July 19, 2012

Arriving at Jeju Island

Well hello there all! It has been a few days since I have spoken with you! Today ends the first week of classes and I am really satisfied with my classes. I am currently taking Introduction to Korean Society and Culture and International Relations in East Asia. Both are interesting in their own unique way. Korean Culture teaches me something new everyday and basically all the questions that I have had about culture have been answered so far. This makes it exciting to walk into class everyday.

My International Relations class is the closest to History that I can get and the class is filled with other History majors from Kansas and Korea. So I guess you could say I feel right at home. I wish that I took a picture of the geographic spectacle that I drew on the board. It was supposed to depict Southeast Asia, but the China Korea combination looked like a mushroom and Vietnam turned out more eggplantish. Terrible illustration aside, I feel as if I successfully explained how the Korean War was the first "hot" period of the Cold War. Please excuse my terrible puns and save all questions for the end of this post. Thank you.

But now to current times. I am sitting in a studio apartment on Jeju Island about a three minute walk from the beach. It is an incredible change of scenery. We survived the typhoon that ended up fizzling out by the time that we even got here. Tomorrow we are trekking to the summit of Mt. Hallo. Pictures are coming! Very very soon.

Until later,

Trey

1 comment: