Sunday, March 10, 2013

The Disappearing Act is Over. I Was Sighted in Atlanta

As you most definitely know by now, I traveled to South Korea this past summer and after returning home my writing completely shut down. I apologize. I haven't had many traveling experiences lately as I have been busy with finishing up my time here at Ohio Northern University (finally).

It seems fitting to give a tiny recap of whats going on so you can have a proper lead up to my trip to Atlanta this past weekend.

Currently I am student teaching at Indian Lake High School with my cooperating teacher Mr. Reprogle. I am teaching two World History classes (Sophomores) and one Psychology class (Juniors, Seniors). If you happen to be familiar with some of these previous posts on here, thank you first of all, you may be scratching your head and asking yourself, "Weren't you supposed to student teach in Spain?" Well, yes I was. Unfortunately my fellow classmate and I were denied by the school at just about the last minute after being accepted for the positions last year. It was a disappointment and the following weeks were very stressful and hectic trying to acquire a spot at another school locally. I could not be happier where I am right now. I have a great school with fun and devoted students and a teacher that has valuable experience and lessons that he shares with me everyday.

I have been working on the job search for a while now. I have searched high and low for schools in the south so that hopefully I can escape the grips of a state that decides to have massive snow storms in March. Through this searching I stumbled upon a job fair that was to be held in Atlanta presented by the Georgia Charter School Association. I thought I might as well give it a shot. So i decided to register and low and behold I was accepted to attend the job fair. There was only one problem. I received my confirmation via e-mail on March 6th. The conference was on the 9th at 9 A.M.

I made the very quick decision that it was going to be a road trip. I would not make the trip alone though, my mother would make the journey with me. This would be my first job fair, and it was only a nine hour drive away.

I am basically obsessed with Atlanta. The last and only time that I ever adventured to the city was my Freshman year at Northern. I spent a weekend down there and loved everything! (Especially the red clay) so to say the least I was excited to explore another part of the city.

I will fast forward to the actual job fair to save your eyeballs some reading. If you really are interested in the shenanigans that my mother and I get into while in a confined space for hours at a time you are more than welcome to contact me personally :)

The job fair was much much different than I expected. I did have one promising lead and applied for another vacancy at an Atlanta public school. The job fair that I attended was for charter schools which basically means they have select students and different rules and funding by the state. I ended up standing in line for over two hours for the chance to sit down with an Internet school. Unfortunately, the only thing I got for my time was a business card just like my fellow disgruntled line standers.

After the fair my mother and I dined at a South African restaurant where we sampled prawns, lamb chops, and I ventured to the ostrich medallion entree. Everything was exquisite, down to the complimentary shots they gave us!

This whole process is getting me excited to explore the rest of the country and hopefully settle down somewhere that is warm and friendly. The next step is to find some more fairs to go to in addition to the fair at Northern at the end if this year.

I suppose this really isn't a world traveling entry, but it does outline what I have been up to since I disappeared. Maybe I shall change the description of what this site is meant for. Not really sure how exciting my life is, but as long as people read I shall write it all down for you!

I'm getting ready to send out resumes and such to places such as New York, North and South Carolina, Illinois, Florida, and of course Georgia. Not sure if I will want to stay in the homeland of Ohio, but if that is the case, I'm sure I will still be happy. I just saw some job fair opportunities in Florida in June.

Who wouldn't want to go to Florida in June?


Until then,


Kenneth Trey Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment